On August 25 BIAN held its very first Don't Bang Your Brain Recreational Sports Concussion Awareness Event, hosted by participants from our Moving Ahead With Brain Injury peer group.
This event was held as part of BIANs mandate to promote safety and awareness about brain injuries and to hopefully prevent brain injury among children and youth.
Spreading the Word About Concussion
The event focussed attention on importance of early indentification, the importance of treatment and the importance of prevention. It was a busy time for all, with a range of things to do and see:
- BIAN information table
- A general information area with 5 computers with short blurbs of really important , easily understood information on brain injury and concussion for the chidren (and adults, too!) to access
- A children's activity area where they could draw a picture, make a sticker picture or accept the challenge of going to each different sponsor table to get theanswers to a paige of questions to win a spin of the wheel and maybe a prize!
- Loonie Draw with great prizes donated from our sponsors, and smaller prizes too!
- Special guest, Brock Beukeboom of the Niagara Ice Dogs, did a great job promoting safety in sports to the children.
- Cogeco... for recognizing the value of the information available and doing a story on the event.
Special Thanks... We Made A Difference!
- Gluckstein & Associates for the donation of the helmets.
- All the exhibitors.
- Mandy George, Undergraduate Student and Anthongy Romyn, Graduate Student, Brock University Neuropsychology Cognitive Research Lab as part of the 'Ask the Researchers' exhibit. (With the support of Dr. Dawn Good, Director of the Lab).
- Dr. Catherine Milner, Clinical Neuropsychologist (affiliated with Dr. Bienman-Copland & Associates) who formerly worked with Dr. Good in association with Brock University, for her contribution at the 'Ask the Neeuropsychologist' exhibit.
- All the volunteers!
- Everyone who donated much needed services to make this event a success!
Niagara Ice Dogs Jersey Draw
The winner of the Niagara Ice Dogs jersey in the Knowledge Hunt was Jennifer Kinnunen.
Support & Contributions
A special thank you to these local businesses for their valued contributions in support of the Don't Bang Your Brain Recreational Sports Concussion Awareness Event.
- B ART C Design
- BDH Rehabilitation Advisory Services
- Boston Pizza (St. Catharines)
- Buckner's Source for Sports
- CAA Niagara
- Canadian Tire, 4th Ave. & Martindale (St. Catharines)
- Canadian Tire, Lincoln Mall (St. Catharines)
- Catalyst Sponsorship
- Claire Lawrence, Bank of Montreal (Beamsville)
- Food Basics, Hartzel Rd. (St. Catharines)
- Fresco's Euro Grille & Bar
- Gales Gas Bars
- Giant Tiger, Scott St. (St. Catharines)
- Gluckstein & Associates LLP
- Harmony House Jewellers (Grimsby)
- Jenny Brown, Reactivated
- Joanne Lombardi, Silpada
- Kamatovic Orthodontics (Niagara Falls)
- Mark's No Frills, Lake St. (St. Catharines)
- McDonald's, Vansickle Road & Fourth Ave. (St. Catharines)
- McDonald's, Welland Ave. (St. Catharines)
- Ron's No Fills, Lincoln Mall (St. Catharines)
- Simply White (St. Catharines)
- Ski Pro Shop
- Sobeys, Grantham Plaza (St. Catharines)
- Special Markets
- Starbucks, Fourth Ave. (St. Catharines)
- That's Entertainment (St. Catharines)
- The Bay at the Pen Centre (St. Catharines)
- Tim Horton's, Grantham Plaza (St. Catharines)
- Tim Horton's, Hartzel Rd. (St. Catharines)
- Tim Horton's, Lincoln Mall (St. Catharines)
- Wal-Mart, Lincoln Mall (St. Catharines)
- Wendy's, Fourth Ave. (St. Catharines)
- Wendy's, Lake St. (St. Catharines)
- Wendy's, Lincoln Mall (St. Catharines)
- Zehrs, Fairview Mall (St. Catharines)