The Brain Injury Association of Niagara is committed to empowering and maximizing the quality of life for individuals living with the effects of an acquired brain injury and their families and caregivers through support, advocacy and information.
- To be seen as a leader in community education of the needs/issues surrounding Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) in the Niagara Region.
- To provide short term advocacy to individuals with ABI who have “fallen through the cracks”, linking them to other resources, including existing BIAN programs.
- To be recognized for providing individuals living with brain injury and their families with social and community opportunities, especially long time survivors.
The Brain Injury Association of Niagara is committed to empowering and maximizing the quality of life for individuals living with the effects of an acquired brain injury and their families and caregivers, through support, social activities, community and peer opportunities, advocacy, and information. We are committed to education, raising awareness, and the prevention of brain injury in our community.
Dr. Sherrie Bieman-Copland, President
Katie Schinkel, Vice President
Anthony Finucci, Treasurer
Jeff Bentley, Secretary
Belinda Darlene Humphrey
Key Services Provided
- 7 different facilitated support groups in Niagara Falls, Welland and St. Catharines. There are meetings for both individuals living with ABI and caregivers.
- Affordable access to the YMCA.
- Affordable access to BIAN's Oasis Clubhouse.
- Social and community activities and opportunities for individuals living with brain injury and their families.
- Peer Support Mentor Program.
- Advocacy Services which support individuals in identifying and accessing needed community resources, such as medical care, housing, legal assistance, financial aid, employment, transportation, etc.
- Educational information about brain injury to support community agencies who serve individuals living with effects.
- Collaboration with other agencies to host events which focus on the prevention of brain injury in our community.
Areas We Serve
BIAN provides services to the following Niagara Communities:
Lincoln, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Pelham, Port Colborne, St. Catharines, Thorold, Welland, Wainfleet and West Lincoln